Certified Nurse Assistant
DUTIES: THE C.N.A. ASSISTS THE RESIDENT IN PERFORMING THE ACTIVITIES OF DAILY 1 LIVING, PROVIDES A CLEAN AND SAFE LIVING ENVIRONMENT, GATHERS DATA ON THE RESIDENT’S PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL STATE, AND REPORTS OBSERVATIONS TO THE NURSE IN CHARGE. ASSISTS THE RESIDENTS WITH THE ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING:
1. BATHES OR ASSIST RESIDENT TO BATHE, PROVIDES EVENING CARE AND INCONTINENT CARE.
2. GROOMING, CARE OF HAIR AND FINGERNAILS.
3. DRESSING AND UNDRESSING.
4. ASSISTS RESIDENT WITH MEAL TRAY, FEEDS RESIDENT AS NEEDED, PROVIDES BETWEEN MEAL NOURISHMENT AND FLUIDS AS ASSIGNED.
5. TOILETS RESIDENT.
6. POSITIONS RESIDENT FOR COMFORT, USING PRINCIPLES OF BODY MECHANICS AND REPOSITIONS WHEN NECESSARY.
7. PROVIDES OR ASSISTS WITH ORAL HYGIENE.
8. ANSWERS CALL LIGHTS PROMPTLY.
9. TRANSPORTS RESIDENT AS NEEDED THROUGHOUT THE FACILITY.
10. TAKES AND REPORTS TO THE CHARGE NURSE VITAL SIGNS, AS ASSIGNED, DURING THE FIRST HOUR OF THE SHIFT.
RECOGNIZES RESIDENT’S STRENGTHS AND USES REHABILITATIVE NURSING TECHNIQUES TO RESTORE OR MAINTAIN RESIDENT INDEPENDENCE:
1. RANGE OF MOTION EXERCISES DAILY.
2. SUPERVISES/ASSISTS AND ENCOURAGES AMBULATION, TRANSFER, ETC.
3. ASSISTS WITH BOWEL & BLADDER TRAINING.
ASSIST IN MEETING THE RESIDENT’S EMOTIONAL NEEDS:
1. INTRODUCES SELF TO RESIDENT AT THE START OF EACH SHIFT.
2. EXPLAINS PROCEDURES AND TALKS WITH THE RESIDENT
3. SHOWS SUPPORT THROUGH LISTENING.
4. ENCOURAGES SOCIAL AND/OR THERAPY ACTIVITIES.
5. SUPPORTS THE DYING RESIDENT AND THEIR FAMILY.
6. PROVIDES FOR RESIDENT PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
7. PROVIDES FOR RESIDENT RIGHTS.
ASSIST IN PROVISION OF A SAFE AND CLEAN ENVIRONMENT:
1. PROPER USE AND STORAGE OF EQUIPMENT; I.E. WHEELCHAIR, HOYER LIFT, SIDERAILS, SEATBELTS, WALKERS, AND BEDSIDE COMMODES.
2. REPORTS FAULTY EQUIPMENT TO THE CHARGE NURSE.
3. REPORTS ALL ACCIDENTS AND/OR INCIDENTS TO THE CHARGE NURSE.
4. DRESSES RESIDENT APPROPRIATELY FOR ACTIVITIES, APPOINTMENTS, WEATHER CONDITIONS, ETC.
5. MAKES AND REMAKES BEDS AS ASSIGNED.
6. PROPERLY HANDLES SOILED LINENS.
7. USES PROPER HANDWASHING TECHNIQUES.
8. FOLLOWS UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS AT ALL TIMES.
9. CARES FOR RESIDENTS IN ISOLATION AS ASSIGNED.
REPORTS OBSERVATIONS TO CHARGE NURSE CONCERNING THE RESIDENT:
1. CHANGES IN CONDITION AND/OR EMOTIONAL STATE.
2. REFUSALS OF MEALS.
3. PARTICIPATES IN START OF SHIFT REPORT.
4. RECORDS OBSERVATIONS ON ADL SHEETS AS ASSIGNED.
ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN ONGOING EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. ATTENDS STAFF DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS RELATED TO JOB RESPONSIBILITIES.
2. ACQUIRES C.E.U.S TO RENEW CERTIFICATION AS REQUIRED BY STATE LAW.
REQUIREMENTS: 6 months experience in Skilled Nursing Facility
SPECIFIC SKILLS: Must be State certified and hold a current CNA license from the State of California
APPLICANT EVALUATION FORM
PRIMARY PHONE NO.:
ALTERNATE PHONE NO.:
APPOINTMENT FOR INTERVIEW
Contact the applicant and make an appointment for an interview for all applicants who appear to potentially qualify for the position offered. Do not discuss job offer or the applicant’s experience with family members. Attempts to contact the applicant must be made in a timely manner. All attempts to contact the applicant, whether successful or not, should be recorded as this information could be re-quested by DOL in the future in the event of an audit.
Attempt Date Phone No. Result (no answer /
left message / etc.) Attempt
3rd (Letter)* answer
* If applicant does not call for an appointment, then send a letter informing applicant to contact evaluator within two weeks. Make copy of letter and send letter by certified, return-receipt mail.
INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT MADE FOR (DATE/TIME):_______
APPLICANT APPEARED FOR INTERVIEW: YES NO
ASK APPLICANT: “If hired, can you show verification of your legal right to work in the United States of America?” [Do NOT ask for any specific verification document at this time.]
Applicant’s Response: YES NO
Applicant’s Additional Response, if any:
Applicant’s education level is:
Does applicant meet minimum educational requirement of job offered: YES NO
If NO, give concise reason why applicant’s education does not meet the minimum requirement of the job:
Does applicant meet the minimum experience requirements for the job offered?
If NO, give concise reason why applicant’s experience does not meet the requirements of the job. Ex-plain fully and objectively any differences in job being offered and applicant’s prior jobs:
ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Applicable only if there were alternative educational and experience requirements that the employer would accept in lieu of the primary education and experience requirements listed above. Does applicant meet alternative requirements: YES NO
If NO, give concise reason why applicant’s education does not meet the requirements of the job:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (SKILLS)
Special Requirements “Job Offer”* Applicant Experienced? Applicant’s Statements/Resume
Short Reason Why Applicant Does Not Qualify†
6 months in Skilled Nursing Facility r Yes r No
CNA License from State of California r Yes r No
* These are the specific experience and knowledge requirements that are listed in the “job offer.” Do NOT add any requirements that were not included in the “job offer.”
† Provide a concise and objective explanation for each of the applicant’s deficiencies in a job duty of why applicant would NOT qualify for the job opportunity even with a reasonable period of on-the-job training to acquire the skills necessary.
* Interviewer/Evaluator must be a person who usually does interviewing of job applicants for the employer.